Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer Reading!

Happy Sunday y'all! Hard to believe another weekend is coming to a close, but for us that means one day closer to a Bahamian vacation!! We are all so excited! I am looking forward to tropical breezes, crystal clear water, a drink in my hand & hopefully finding some quiet time to read.
I think I have mentioned before that reading is one of my favorite things. I love the pastime & remember that this love affair for me started as a young child. I recall getting so excited when the Scholastic book flyers were distributed in the classroom! I would spend hours pouring over the selections & then beg my mom to buy me a few of my choices. And then the anticipation of waiting for those books to arrive was like waiting for Christmas! To me there is great joy in the feel of a taut new book in my hand. I am probably one of few people who still read paper books;no e-books for me, thanks!
Here are some of the books on my nightstand right now.
1. Ghost Town At Sundown 
This is book #10 in the Magic Tree House series. Ty is reading these books & loving them! We read some to him & I cherish these times that we snuggle up in my bed & read together. 
2. Orphan Train
I just finished this book 3 days ago & I really liked it! It taught me about a small part of this nation's history I had never even heard of. Powerful writing too. 
3. Tell The Wolves I'm Home
Picked this book up at Costco the other day. It has been on my "to read" shelf for a while. Needless to say, I am excited to read it this summer!
4. The Language of Flowers
This book was recommended to me by several friends. I love hearing from people whose input I appreciate. I have heard it is a great read & just started it. I am liking it so far! 
5. Pope Joan
Wow! What an amazing book about a woman whose courage & desire for learning & knowledge led her down an unheard of path. A fabulous book!
6. Lies You Wanted To Hear     
This was an okay read, not too bad for this first-time author. It was a bit far stretched from me & hard to fathom. I don't know that I would recommend it, but won't say I am sorry I read it either. 
7. The White Queen (not pictured)
I enjoyed this book & the fascinating storytelling of life in medieval times between royal families captivated me. However, I thought it was a bit too drawn out & detailed. I thought a lot of the tedium could have been left out & the book would have been awesome!

So there is a look at what's on my "book shelf" right now. If you are an avid reader & what to follow more of my book shelves, you can find me on "Goodreads" at     https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6419154-stephanie-eaken   

SO, what is on your "to read" list this summer?! 
~Stephanie  

No comments:

Post a Comment